2.20.2009

Baby Update

Click to play McKenna
Create your own scrapbook - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox scrapbook

So on Monday night I started having contractions every five minutes while I was laying down. I told Jeff, who was working on a project with someone for class, and didn't really think a ton of it. I had gone to the doctor in the morning and I was a 31/2 and 90%. My Mom called during my contraction-mactions (this is what Jeff and I call them, we like to rhyme) and asked how I was because she was in Omaha for a temple office party and wanted to know if she should stay. I asked her if she had her bag packed and with her, and she did so I told her to come over and we would just see how things turned out. She and my Dad came over and I kept having them so Jeff and I decided just to go to the hospital mostly because it was convenient.

We got to the hospital and the nurse asked me my pain level and I said that it was zero. I should mention that my contractions are painless braxton hicks contractions until about 6 or 7 cm. So she kind of gave me a funny look, and Jeff and I were off to walking. At this point is was about midnight and we walked for over an hour, reading magazines and laughing, and at one point the nurse said "Stephanie, that doesn't look very laborish." Anyway she checked me and I was at a five. She told me that she thought that I was going to be going home, but since I dilated more they admitted me. Anyway she told us to get some sleep (by now it was about four in the morning)

At 7:00 in the morning a new nurse came in and told me that I was only having one contraction an hour. So they broke my water and started oxytocin and I was off to walking again. I still wasn't having very many contractions, and they weren't painful and the nurses were laughing because I was walking so fast and dragging my I.V. Another check only had me at a six, still no pain. I decided to take a nap in the rocking chair, a little bit later I started to have painful contractions, so I asked for an epidural (thinking that it would be a while till an anesthesiologist got there). Turns out he was next door so like five minutes later I had the meds. There was a spot where I was still feeling painful contractions and the pain increased with each contraction. The nurse being quite observant decided to check me again, and I was complete. She had just checked me 10 minutes before. I had no idea that I was that close to transition, thank goodness the anesthesiologist was there so quick. So labor took from 8:30 on Monday night to 3:05pm on Tuesday, it was painless except the last 45 minutes. By the way ha ha to all of you who said that I would jinx myself for saying that I was going into labor on the 16th. I was right.

11 comments:

Alissa said...

Ohhhh! That is soo sweet! It made me almost cry! ...sniffle sniffle...

Kim said...

Oh my!!! She is just lovely! I'm so happy for you guys!

J and M said...

Yee HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAw. Look at that cutie! You guys look great, and we wish we were there to take Lauren downstairs and play so you could SLEEPPPPPP.

Call me with concerns (: M We are well now, and it is my turn to call you back, but now you have a baby and I don't want to interrupt. Email me when I shoudl call you......Cute car seat cover. I don't recall that with Lauren.

Matt and Maggie said...

Congrats, Steph, she is beautiful. Tiny too! Wonderful, wonderful.

The Howards said...

Congratulations!! I can't believe it. And to think we just over there barely 24 hours before the labor started! She's a doll! Hope recovery goes smoothly for you!

Hartleys said...

Welcome, McKenna Reese! She is so sweet and tiny. It will be so fun getting to know her little personality. By the way, Stephanie, you need to go on the road with like a booth at carnivals and guess due dates, weights, etc.....its kinda freaky how accurate you were.

canihavethisdance said...

Congratulations!! What a sweet little baby and cute name.

J and M said...

By the way, I think that mothers "know" when the baby is coming, and I am glad that she was able to come right as anticipated! I am jealous of the no pain business (: M

Are you holding up well? Baby nursing okay, you aren't passed out in the corner?

Amanda said...

Congratulations and good luck with everything!!

Matt and Maggie said...

I already left a comment on this post, but I wanted to respond to yours. I'm sure the head shaking thing was a coincidence, but wasn't it cute?!
Anyway, hope you're getting some rest!! I wish I was.

Cindy said...

Congratulations!! What a beautiful story! She is a doll!!!