9.06.2012

Tears???

Today there were no tears shed. Lauren woke me up this morning twenty minutes before she was supposed to be at the bus stop. So there was no cute pancake with a face on it for her first day kindergarten like I had been dreaming about. There was no shower for me before I walked her and the kids to the bus stop. Let's just say that I am setting the standard low for I will be looking in front of all my neighbors.

We got there plenty early though and the only other kid there was Stephen the boy who leaves across the green middle from us. He and the girls play together a lot. (Well they try to play together. Lets just say that the girls aren't very good at the things he likes to do. (i.e. soccer, tag, war). The girls love him, but he is in second grade and can't risk the blow to his coolness if he were to talk to them in public, so it was a quiet wait until our other friend Mya came to the bus stop. 

It was a chilly morning. The bus was twenty minutes late. I just love to wait on a corner holding a one year old on a cold morning for twenty minutes. NOT. It was okay though, it seemed good for the kids to all talk and anticipate with each other. Lauren was so excited to see the bus come that before I even knew it she was already to the doors. She didn't even give me a hug. When I noticed that she was close to the bus I said "Lauren, aren't you going to say good-bye?" The response? "Bye Mom." Then as the bus pulled away and I waved, my eyes started to water. I probably would have cried, but I couldn't be the only person crying. I probably would have cried when I got home, but by the time I got there I was over it. 

It did seem weird and quiet. I was worried that Kenna would be so bored not having Lauren to play with, but I forgot how well she played and entertained herself. So what did I do to celebrate Lauren's first day of school?  I did me some sewing. Yahoo. And some closet re-arranging. Not so-yahoo. But I am glad it is done. 


Lauren's packed lunch. Complete with a special note from Mom and Dad. (Which I later realized she wouldn't be able to read. She said someone's teacher in the lunch room read it to her though). 

Getting ready to go.

The outfit she picked out

For some reason, Lauren is not capable of having her eyes open for any of these pictures.

Our very late bus

I can't find my camera, so here are some low quality pictures of our day with the phone. When Callum woke up from his nap we went to the store to get some balloons to welcome Lauren off the bus with. She loved her little surprise and Kenna loved surprising her. Lauren looked exhausted when she got off the bus. Her hair was a mess and her eyes were a little bloodshot. Right now she and Kenna are taking a rest, Callum is napping and I am getting a little quiet time to myself. 

2 comments:

Stacey said...

None of my kids have seemed sad to leave on the first day of school. Lorelei this year did say she wanted to stay home so she could spend more time with me. That was nice.

Tasha said...

I love when you write because you are a fabulous writer and always so entertaining. We miss you guys, but we're glad things are going well for you. The good thing about Jeff changing his mind now is that he wouldn't have to add extra years on since anesthesia are required to have one year of either medicine or surgery before beginning the anesthesia part anyways. And I would say that the lifestyle of anesthesia is the way to go. We miss you (and all of our friends: we feel pretty isolated in our little town and even tinier branch).