5.04.2010

Scooped

Today has been a stressful day in my heart. Does that make sense? That is where I feel all tension and anxiety. How does one get sisters to be nice to each other and to NOT HIT. (I am asking for ideas here).

On the way down the stairs to go to the grocery store McKenna started to go down and the stairs and then started to go back up and so I scooped her. (That is what happens when my girls aren't being good listeners or are doing naughty things). It makes Kenna pretty mad, and Lauren doesn't usually like it, but as I was going down the stairs Lauren plopped down at the top of the stairs and said "Mommy, I'm being naughty, scoop me too." I was so not going to go back up the three flights of stairs and carry both of them down the stairs. So it was a waiting game. She at the top, and I at the bottom. And do you know who won? ME!

Tomorrow we go to look at a preschool for Lauren. Wish us luck.

I think that I am going to have to do yoga everyday until these girls are 18.

5 comments:

Meredith said...

Good job on winning that battle. :) I don't know what to tell you about the hitting thing! I'm sorry, I don't have a lot of experience with it. We just do time-outs, and I suppose that's what I'd do if I were in your situation, but I'm betting you've already tried that. Hopefully they will grow out of it, I guess. Yoga is a wonderful thing. :)

Stacey said...

First of all I think it's hilarious that you think your worries will be over when your girls are 18, you're a bit delusional. Were we ever nice to each other all the time? You embrace the times when the are playing nice (like mine are right now) and express a zero tolerance on hitting. As soon as someone hits they get removed from the situation and placed in a predetermined spot to collect themselves. They can come back when they are ready to play nice. This has worked better for us than anything else and believe me, we've tried a lot of things. It may be they need some training in expressing their aggravation in a more positive way. Lorelei did the same thing as Lauren, she totally called me on my punishment by thinking that it was fun instead of a punishment. I told her if she was going to be naughty she'd have to go stand in the coat closet (at church). She said, rather loudly, "I want to go in the corner!" Now what? Aren't kids fun? Just take a deep breath

Adrianna said...

Wesley does that to me all the time..and I don't know what to do! Time outs are a game, him running in the street and going inside is a game, when his parents spank him--it's a game. He will intentionally be naughty and then ask for his punishment..it's so frustrating and I don't know how to fix it.

Stacey said...

14 months is not too young to put into time out, just put her in her crib for a couple of minutes. You're basically teaching her two things, which she is completely capable of learning. Number one hitting is not okay, and number two how to regroup. What happens when you run out of candy and Lauren starts to expect it?

J and M said...

I remember those days..............(and the days of scooping and waiting for Miles to come up the stairs are NOT over!).

I used to make whomever hit, do a soft touch and we'd talk about how the person getting hurt felt.

I also enrolled Ellie in preschool (: so that Miles disrupted her stuff a little less, and frustrations were less. What schools have you found?